Gee, I really think you are being unreasonable here.  I think JDE
could improve in user friendliness.  A lot of things in emacs-land
can.  That doesn't mean to switch to GUI's or anything.  But JDE
SHOULD be user-friendly.  You can have user-friendly emacs programs,
look at BBDB.  It's usually not significantly more difficult to make
things easier than it is to make them harder.  It just takes a
willingness to listen to user feedback, and a perception of what
interactions seem to be "pain points".  If JDE was not friendly,
people wouldn't use it, they would use Java-mode instead.  Some people
at my company do exactly this.  I'm not saying JDE's UI is very bad,
I actually think it's one of the better UI's in emacs-land.  However,
I think there is room for improvement.

An example of a ui problem: I was showing my boss how to use
JDE.  I showed him how to attach to a running Java process and step
through the program.  When he asked how to see local variables, I
paused for a second.  I do this all the time, but I made my own
keybinding for it.  So I looked through the menu and found
"JDebug->Display->Local Variables".  When we did this, though, it
wasn't what I wanted, and he wasn't very impressed.  I had to assure
him that there was a very nice way to view local variables, I just
could't find it at the moment.  I later found it was at "JDebug->Show
Buffer->Locals".  I think things that cause confusion like this are a
real problem.  If I can't find the command, it's as much a problem as
if the command doesn't work.  To me, there would be no difference.
For this case, perhaps that Display menu item should be renamed
something else, although I don't use it enough to know what would be
more appropriate.