Andrew Hyatt writes:

 > Gee, I really think you are being unreasonable here.  I think JDE
 > could improve in user friendliness.  A lot of things in emacs-land
 > can.  That doesn't mean to switch to GUI's or anything.  But JDE
 > SHOULD be user-friendly.  You can have user-friendly emacs programs,
 > look at BBDB.  It's usually not significantly more difficult to make
 > things easier than it is to make them harder.  It just takes a
 > willingness to listen to user feedback, and a perception of what
 > interactions seem to be "pain points".  If JDE was not friendly,
 > people wouldn't use it, they would use Java-mode instead.  Some people
 > at my company do exactly this.  I'm not saying JDE's UI is very bad,
 > I actually think it's one of the better UI's in emacs-land.  However,
 > I think there is room for improvement.
 >
 > An example of a ui problem: I was showing my boss how to use
 > JDE.  I showed him how to attach to a running Java process and step
 > through the program.  When he asked how to see local variables, I
 > paused for a second.  I do this all the time, but I made my own
 > keybinding for it.  So I looked through the menu and found
 > "JDebug->Display->Local Variables".  When we did this, though, it
 > wasn't what I wanted, and he wasn't very impressed.  I had to assure
 > him that there was a very nice way to view local variables, I just
 > could't find it at the moment.  I later found it was at "JDebug->Show
 > Buffer->Locals".  I think things that cause confusion like this are a
 > real problem.  If I can't find the command, it's as much a problem as
 > if the command doesn't work.  To me, there would be no difference.
 > For this case, perhaps that Display menu item should be renamed
 > something else, although I don't use it enough to know what would be
 > more appropriate.

Display->Local Variables came before the local variables buffer. It
was intended as a stop gap. It requires that you get the object
id of the variable whose value you want to dislay. My intention
ultimately was to have it display the value of the variable at
point. I never got around to finishing it. There are a lot of
unfinished features in the JDEE. So many features, so little time.

- Paul