Andy Piper writes:
 > > Is anybody working on a "JDEE installer" that would get ALL the
 > > required and
 > > optional packages (that the user selects in the setup process,
 > > such as ECB,
 > > Jalopy) and would set all the necessary settings (such as
 > > jde-bug-jdk-directory, jde-jdk-registry) and some optional
 > > settings, such as
 > > '(jde-import-auto-sort t)?
 >
 > The XEmacs windows installer installs all of the required JDE packages (ECB
 > and Jalopy are not packaged as yet) using a GUI "wizard". It is open source
 > and used by many, many people to install XEmacs also. It is a fork of the
 > original cygwin installer and I would suggest it is a good starting point
 > for anyone wanting to do a GUI installer (or make the XEmacs one better).
 >
 > wrt to "GUI features" I have been working on integrating toolbar support for
 > JDEbug into JDE and a gdbsrc mode for JDEE (i.e. gdb keystrokes in your
 > editing buffer which becomes read-only while you are debugging). I have also
 > added support for true GUI selection boxes for things that use efc (i.e. a
 > true GUI version of efc). All of these things are XEmacs specific. I expect
 > to check them into the JDEE CVS repository hopefuly before Christmas.

I've considered the Cygwin installer. In fact, I have its source on
my system. My concern is that it won't work for Unix and Linux users.
I'd like to have a solution that works for all platforms. That is
why I am leaning toward a Java-based solution, perhaps a jar that
could be downloaded from the JDEE website and executed on the
user's system.

I took a brief look at Web Start. One problem might be that it requires
some server support. This might be an issue for Sunsite Denmark.

I've also thought about Emacs Lisp, i.e., a jde-install.el file
that a user could download that defines a jde-install command. My
concern is that this approach require only Emacs and jde-install.el.
Nothing else. This would assume that the user's OS provides the
tools needed to download stuff from the Internet, e.g., ftp. Is
ftp available on all Windows systems. I'm not sure. Does Emacs
need an external file compression utility to extract files
from tar and zip files? Such a utility might not be available on
every system.

The more self-contained and platform independent the tool
the better. Java is the only approach that I'm fairly confident
would meet this requirement.

- Paul