+1 Tom.
That's common sense, It's always useful :)

That percentage of people who try to install Jenkins offline, use to know
what they are doing, so a link to "Tips to install Jenkins offline" should
be enough.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Tom Fennelly <tom.fenne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2 September 2015 at 15:04, James Nord <jn...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
>> Lets get something working and then see how we can evolve it to fill gaps.
>>>

>> Well I can see the headlines now if you release with that in mind
>>     "Jenkins, marketed as the leading CI/CD software, no longer supports
>> JUnit the tool used in 99.9% of all development" <snip>out of the box
>> </snip> <- cos you know journalists like to make good headlines
>>

> Oh come on James, this is so overly dramatic :) There'd be no shortage of
> Jenkins headlines if a Journalist was so motivated and I think this would
> be way down the list.
>
> So how big an issue is this do you think:
>
>    1. What percentage of Jenkins install locations do you expect have no
>    internet connection?
>    2. Of the percentage from #1, what percentage do you percentage do you
>    think would involve a total newbie to Jenkins, such that they would not be
>    capable of working the kinds of tactics normally employed in these kinds of
>    situations (whatever they are - pre-defined archives, Juseppe etc) ?
>
> Seems to me like this conversation has focused in on something that's only
> ever going to be a problem for a fairly small group of people. It also
> seems to me that, for the situation we are talking about here (no internet
> etc), we should be talking about people that know what they're at (not
> Jenkins newbies). If we can't make that assumption then I don't see how we
> can make the assumption that these same people with limited skills are
> going to be able to work any of the solutions floated above (scripts to run
> on other systems etc).
>
> For version 1 of this, can't we just document some possible solutions to
> this problem and point the user to these solutions from inside the wizard
> on detecting the fact that there's no internet connection? This seems easy
> enough and we can test it over a period of time. If it's a big issue we'll
> at least have some real data to work with.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CA%2BbPaoKO%2BqYJ6eYZqbLcz3jX2gH0CVX%2BwZeMnyob3%3DPn%2BiqmDw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CA%2BbPaoKO%2BqYJ6eYZqbLcz3jX2gH0CVX%2BwZeMnyob3%3DPn%2BiqmDw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

Antonio Muñiz
Software Engineer