On 13 October 2016 at 13:29, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> As we've been discussing that again on IRC recently, we thought it might
> be a good time to discuss that subject again. Latest thread about that I
> could find is already 18+ months old
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/jenkinsci-dev/sw_WepGw0Pk/E-J3oCm50o8J>
> .
>
> In the meantime, Java 7 has now long been EOLed since mid 2015 (see
> https://java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml for details).

Technically, at least on RHEL, OpenJDK 7 still has some legs

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013

But then given that RHEL supports OpenJDK 6 until the end of this year and
we have dropped support for Java 6 as of 1.610-ish (technically may be
1.612 that actually dropped support, and 1.609 was announced to not have
support for Java 6, even though it did)... do we really care about that
data point?

(IBM JDK is another story... there Java 6 is until 30-Sep-2018 and Java 7
is until 30-Sep-2019... but Jenkins does not really claim to support
running in the IBM JDKs, so I am happy ignoring those for now)

> Also, many if not all of us very often advise users to just use Java 8
> everytime they can to run Jenkins. We use it to build Jenkins (though
> generating 7 bytecode).
>
> Not EOLed, removed PermGen, Lambdas, Default Methods, etc., many reasons
> to update to JDK 8 from the Ops and Dev perspectives.
>
> IMO, it's time to move on. Jenkins can very easily use another JDK version
> for builds, so I don't think there're compelling reasons to keep supporting
> Java 7.
>
> The common argument that "big" companies won't then be able to use Jenkins
> anymore just does not hold IMO for at least two reasons: we know some very
> big shops just using Jenkins with Java 8 without any issue, and the most
> conservative companies are anyway, as always, probably still running
> already (very) old versions of Jenkins. They will just catch that train
> later.
>
> WDYT?

I'm +1... but having had this battle over at Apache Maven several times
now, I am well versed in the objections people come up with! ;-)

-Stephen