> On 13.10.2016, at 15:35, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.conno...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Technically, at least on RHEL, OpenJDK 7 still has some legs
>
> https://access.redhat.com/articles/1299013
>
> But then given that RHEL supports OpenJDK 6 until the end of this year and we
> have dropped support for Java 6 as of 1.610-ish (technically may be 1.612
> that actually dropped support, and 1.609 was announced to not have support
> for Java 6, even though it did)... do we really care about that data point?

RHEL 5 will leave regular support in March:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Product_life_cycle

RHEL 6 + 7 support Java 8. I don't see this particular distro as a problem. In
general, availability of a supported (old) JRE doesn't mean we should't require
something newer. Absence of a support (new) JRE would be the problem.