I'm for it,
But didn't we discuss a new "deprecation policy" in the beginning of the
Jenkins 2 planning, or did I dream that?
I'm mostly thinking of the rollout of this, many installations seems to
have just dared to start thinking about upgrading to Jenkins 2, perhaps we
shouldn't throw a Java upgrade in their face after just two LTS releases?
Or maybe two is enough?

/B

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Nigel Magnay <nigel.mag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Update already.
>
> Those in bizarre AIX, zOS and HPUX universes can continue to use older
> Jenkins versions.
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> As we've been discussing that again on IRC recently, we thought it might
>> be a good time to discuss that subject again. Latest thread about that I
>> could find is already 18+ months old
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/jenkinsci-dev/sw_WepGw0Pk/E-J3oCm50o8J>
>> .
>>
>> In the meantime, Java 7 has now long been EOLed since mid 2015 (see
>> https://java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml for details).
>>
>> Also, many if not all of us very often advise users to just use Java 8
>> everytime they can to run Jenkins. We use it to build Jenkins (though
>> generating 7 bytecode).
>>
>> Not EOLed, removed PermGen, Lambdas, Default Methods, etc., many reasons
>> to update to JDK 8 from the Ops and Dev perspectives.
>>
>> IMO, it's time to move on. Jenkins can very easily use another JDK
>> version for builds, so I don't think there're compelling reasons to keep
>> supporting Java 7.
>>
>> The common argument that "big" companies won't then be able to use
>> Jenkins anymore just does not hold IMO for at least two reasons: we know
>> some very big shops just using Jenkins with Java 8 without any issue, and
>> the most conservative companies are anyway, as always, probably still
>> running already (very) old versions of Jenkins. They will just catch that
>> train later.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> -- Baptiste
>>
>> --
>> gid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS6%3D23HQ%3DmhRxxvzkWPba%2BpanO_fUGR
>> 90Y58Fvvax1aciA%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS6%3D23HQ%3DmhRxxvzkWPba%2BpanO_fUGR90Y58Fvvax1aciA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

> msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPYP83RdC_Tnjqg7FfmJOkj2PmUFv3PG6uK%
> 3DLOWBEyxvL%2BFMDA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPYP83RdC_Tnjqg7FfmJOkj2PmUFv3PG6uK%3DLOWBEyxvL%2BFMDA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Robert Sandell