On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:
> I have been thus far deriving jenkins/evergreen from
> jenkins/jenkins simply to inherit some scripts, permissions, and other bits.

Yeah, that makes sense as a way to get things up and running quickly.
Once we have an accepted process for tagging a “release” of “Jenkins
Essentials” as a whole, as implied by

https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/300/README.adoc#auto-update

then we can rewrite the image to handle core consistently.

>> I do not think it is wise to try to automagically detect a cloud
>> environment. […]
>
> […what are your concerns] regarding
> a singular "all-in-one" package which can include the necessary
> cloud-detection
> auto-configuration tooling?

A general distrust of anything magical and opaque that might or might
not work depending on factors too complex for users to see or
understand. If we have a recommended way for Jenkins to run in AWS,
polish it up and put it on Marketplace, if possible. If we have a
recommended way for Jenkins to run in a self-managed Kubernetes
cluster, publish an official Helm chart for it. But keep the basic
Docker image, i.e., whatever happens when I run something like

docker run --rm -v jh:/var/jenkins jenkins/evergreen

straightforward and predictable.

If you are worried about discoverability of our preconfigurations, you
can always add an `AdministrativeMonitor` that says something like