(replies inline)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:03 PM, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:
> > I have been thus far deriving jenkins/evergreen from
> > jenkins/jenkins simply to inherit some scripts, permissions, and other bits.
>
> Yeah, that makes sense as a way to get things up and running quickly.
> Once we have an accepted process for tagging a ???release??? of ???Jenkins
> Essentials??? as a whole, as implied by
>
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/300/README.adoc#auto-update
>
> then we can rewrite the image to handle core consistently.
>
> >> I do not think it is wise to try to automagically detect a cloud
> >> environment. [???]
> >
> > [???what are your concerns] regarding
> > a singular "all-in-one" package which can include the necessary
> > cloud-detection
> > auto-configuration tooling?
>
> A general distrust of anything magical and opaque that might or might
> not work depending on factors too complex for users to see or
> understand. If we have a recommended way for Jenkins to run in AWS,
> polish it up and put it on Marketplace, if possible. If we have a
> recommended way for Jenkins to run in a self-managed Kubernetes
> cluster, publish an official Helm chart for it. But keep the basic
> Docker image, i.e., whatever happens when I run something like
>
> docker run --rm -v jh:/var/jenkins jenkins/evergreen
>
> straightforward and predictable.
>
> If you are worried about discoverability of our preconfigurations, you
> can always add an `AdministrativeMonitor` that says something like
>
> > Hey there! From sniffing around, it looks like you are running this Jenkins
> > service in Azure, but you are not taking advantage of the preintegration
> > work we have done for you.
> > For more information, see: https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/etc.
> > [[Dismiss]]

Yeah, this is where I thought you were going with the original feedback and I
agree, it's probably a good idea if for no other reason than to reduce the
opportunity for unintend side effects. I'll look at how I can work this nuance
into the JEP-300, I agree it's important to view different target platforms
(AWS, Azure, Kubernetes) differently and worth capturing that in this overview
document.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F