> (replies inline)
>
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Surya Gaddipati wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is exciting new development.
> >
> > Couple of comments
> >
> > 1.  Packaging supervisord with another executable is a docker anti
> pattern.
> > I assume  any serious  jenkins deployment is on a scheduler like
> > swarm/kubernetes ect where supervisord is not necessary.
>

> I understand the point made but I disagree with the notion that "serious"
> Jenkins deployments are using Swarm or Kubernetes. The Jenkins project
> itself
> (for example) has been running Docker in production for over four years
> now,
> without a container orchestrator of any kind. This includes
> https://ci.jenkins.io/. We use the garethr/docker Puppet module
> (https://forge.puppet.com/garethr/docker) which itself has millions of
> downloads by folks managing Docker services "the hard way." That said, we
> also
> have a Kubernetes environment where we're deploying newer applications
> (e.g.
> https://plugins.jenkins.io/) into. So I /agree/ with the point that
> Kubernetes
> is likely a good candidate for replacing some of the Jenkins lifecycle
> management work that supervisord is currently performing, which is why I
> mention Kubernetes in JEP-301 at all. However, I strongly
> disagree that the market is "there" yet, I think making a container
> orchestrator a requirement at this point would only inhibit adoption and
> learning. I am instead erring on the side of "simple and fast" from a user
> perspective, the closest we can get (IMHO) to the `java -jar jenkins.war`
> experience, the easier the adoption and experimentation will be for the
> user
> audience I want to reach.

I haven't found any references to supervisord in JEP pull request, neither
about kubernetes - did I miss something ?
Anyway I tend to agree with this comment about packaging supervisord with
jenkins essential within a docker image as a bad practice. I don't think
this has anything to relate to running this as plain docker or with some
orchestrator, this just makes the docker image a mutable instance, which
should be avoided. Without much details on where this discussion comes from
I can't really tell much about alternatives.

> > 2. Scripting should be done via yaml files, not environment variables(
> > init.d/groovy). All essential plugins should be made compatible with
> > configuration-as-code.
>
> I fully intend on using as much support as possible from the Configuration
> as
> Code effort which Ewelina and Nicolas are working on. I do not intend to
> undertake, as part of Jenkins Essentials, patching or updating plugins in
> order
> to support it however.
>
> My order of priority for scripting Jenkins is:
>
>  1. Configuration as Code
>  2. Groovy scripting (bleh)
>  3. Hopefully very little if any scary hacks.
>

> So I think we're mostly on same page here :)

Configuration-as-Code is not ready yet to support this, but for sure we
will keep an eye on this and will try to implement this use-case as well
when this becomes relevant.