Hi,

Maarten Deen wrote:
> If a user gets his changes reverted more often because of the message he
> writes, than I think the system is wrong, not the message. Edits should be
> judged on the edit, not on the message that accompanies it.

I could very well imagine having edits which are questionable but you'd
normally say "it's a new user and while he hasn't improved anything, he
hasn't broken anything either so let him be". But if that was
accompanied by "fuck you", I'd not be so lenient.

> I must say that the first time I heard from this message was because of this
> thread. Any documentation on why this is such an important issue and what is
> expected to be put in there?

Well you could start with the first discussions on changesets, from
February 2008, here

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Changesets_and_Reverts

- a "commit comment" has always been integral to the concept.

I am surprised that it requires explanation. Can you imagine the
usefulness of http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changesets without
descriptions?

Bye
Frederik