On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Matthias Julius wrote:

>> In my eyes the current release is more stable and bug-free than any
>> release before, so tested can be set. Except in case translators do major
>> texts today I would vote for making todays nightly build tested tomorrow.
>
> It might be a good idea to declare a feature and string freeze and
> issue a call for translation updates for a few days before each
> testing release.  This would give translators a chance to catch up.
> It might also boost their motivation a little bit when they know that
> their perfect 100% translation actually will make it into a release.
>
> Are there any translators on this list?  How would you like that to be
> handled?

Yes. I'am. I always tell me before release that everything must be
translated. Usually I try to do so :-)

No really. Usually in the time after announcing tested stage first time
only bug-fixes are done and they don't usually add new user visible
strings, but mainly error messages or the like (or new plugin strings). I
also take care that the translators have a chance to catch up before, so
the languages which currently try the 100% (German, Ukrainian, Russian,
Italian, ...) have the chance to do so.

On the other hand JOSM is in flux always, so texts in updated plugins
become outdated and many language miss newer strings anyways. Until now it
seems impossible to get a release handling for JOSM translations. There
are always only few people who really actively translate texts and most
languages stay in the incomplete state. And there are really many strings
in JOSM and always comming a lot of new strings.

I know this situation from other projects and it seems it is unsolvable,
so I don't really want to stop development because of missing
translations. Only solution would be a release branching each time we hav
a tested, but due to various reason explained in length in other mails I
still don't think the currently working josm process should be changed
without need.

This does not mean that when there is a chance to better motivate our
translators we shouldn't try it.

... Giving each of them a free copy of the software?

... (hmm, wrong development model .... :-)

Ciao