Hi Erik,

   After having worked with countless web frameworks
and dozens of languages I will say this:  What you
gain in development effort and 'syntactic sugar' you
lose in performance.  As all these sites prop up I
just give it a year or two before people start
marketing themselves as experts in 'optimizing' RoR,
so they can sell the solutions to the performance
problems that the 'peace and contentment' caused.
Very similar with EJB and CMP. EJB offered a
simplistic layer of abstaction  that made data
management simpler, but also caused a huge expense in
the management of the EJB container!  Secondly, if
Ruby can offer more to the client, then the RoR
programmer will charge more!  Aren't labor economics
fun?  EJB in the end, didnt save anyone a cent.  There
is nothing new under the sun, but there is a never
ending supply of idiots and people willing to pay
them.

  Having witnessed the Web 2.0 sleaziness first hand,
I do not trust anything that is associated with that
world.  If you want to deliver something really good
to your client, give them standards that are
unencumbered by licenscing constraints( where it is
affordable of course ).

   I still do respect Java as a language because the
semantics are well established.  The changes that it
introduced to C++ syntax were well accounted for.

  sincerely, jmz