here is a movie where a NASA employee compares Ruby
EJB, and a few other technologies:

Sorry, just noticed this line giggled.

Nick

On Jun 25, 2006, at 5:57 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

On Jun 24, 2006, at 10:02 PM, josh zeidner wrote:
  Why is it that every Ruby expert that I run into has
absolutely nothing to show?

I've never claimed to be a Ruby expert, and it'll be quite a while before I could claim even being close. I barely claim expertise in Java, and in that realm my expertise is not across the entire spectrum but rather focused on the web tier and 3rd party libraries and frameworks.

I've had two applications online in RoR, one was a railsplayground.com hosted one that is currently down - it was my first RoR app. It scraped our local MLS site, looked up lat/long coordinates with geocoder.us and plotted homes on Google Maps. After seeing communitywalk, its not worth seeing, but it worked just fine and dandy and several realtors saw it and thought it would make a nice product. If I was passionate about that domain, I'd have pursued it, but I'd rather play with words in academia. My current project does have one incantation of the RoR front-end online, but Kowari often crashes (though my custom search server stays up and running no problem). I could point you to that incarnation, but its not fast enough to be impressive. The new system will be up in a week or so when our sysadmin/project manager gets back from vacation. And it is impressive, and looks gorgeous. I haven't put up, or shut up, yet, eh? Ha! :)

but here is my word of advice to
potential IT buyers: INVEST IN PEOPLE NOT TECHNOLOGY.

No doubt. My job title is "java programmer" but my role is really to use whatever technologies are the best fit to get the job done. And RoR just happens to be that for the front-end currently.

   here is a movie where a NASA employee compares Ruby
EJB, and a few other technologies:

  http://oodt.jpl.nasa.gov/better-web-app.mov

"rapid turn around", "scripting languages" are best for the UI, not "compiled languages".

I'm still watching, but its a good presentation so far.

        Erik