Two days on and total satisfaction with AquaMail.

Easy to install and when there is something I don't understand I put a
question on their forum and an answer comes back within hours.

Overnight the developer has been through the forum and added help to about
six messages.

I'll put AquaMail on another Android device and as long as that works
smoothly I'll remove K9. I see no point in plodding on with something that
is not supported. If this Google group is an indicator of how many people
use K9 I guess most have given it up by now.