I'll throw this out there even though I know that it's not universally
applicable. I'm using a OnePlus 3T. k-9 is not battery optimised.

I use Automagic (it's like tasker) to run a profile every hour that checks
to see if the screen is turned off (i.e., I'm not actively using the phone)
and, if it is, it starts k-9, sleeps for 1 minute whilst keeping the phone
awake and then closes k-9. This seems to be enough to keep k-9 syncing in
the background 99.99% of the time.