Thank you so much Dan!  I had to replace my phone and even though I got the
same model, K9 was not syncing every hour as I had set-up - "Syncing
Disabled" message at the top.  As soon as I completed the last step in your
list - Optimize uncheck - K9 started syncing and now tells me how many
minutes until the next poll.  I don't remember having this issue when I
installed it years ago on my first Galaxy S7, but I'm so happy it is
functioning correctly now!