On martedì 8 agosto 2017 23:43:25 CEST, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
On Dienstag, 8. August 2017 22:46:18 CEST Elvis Angelaccio wrote:
On martedì 8 agosto 2017 21:46:58 CEST, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
On 8 August 2017 at 20:01, Luigi Toscano <luigi.tosc...@tiscali.it> wrote: ...

I'm not sure I get this argument. Do we have evidence that new contributors
are scared by IRC? How is signin up on RocketChat/Telegram/whatever easier
than using http://webchat.freenode.net/ ?

We do have evidence. For example a significant portion of the VDG has never been in any of our IRC channels and would never want to go there. I bet that the same goes for WtL.

On the other hand, I see new contributors on IRC all the time who ask "hey, how do I build $app?" or "hey, how do I contribute to KDE?". So maybe different teams have just different preferences. So I'm still not convinced that a new contributor is scared away because we use IRC as primary communication channel.

Again, do we have evidence that Rocket chat is more used than IRC or other
protocols? I'd be very surprised if that's the case.

Of course rocket.chat is not used more than IRC at the moment. It's still a quite new technology. I bet that if you'd show some 20-year-old rocket.chat and http://webchat.freenode.net/ side-by-side and asked them which one they'd prefer, the clear majority would go with the former.
bet as in put actual money on it.

To be fair, they would also choose github over our current git infrastructure. If http://webchat.freenode.net/ is ugly (which is probably true), then let's point people who prefer fancy UIs to riot.im.