On 9/19/19 11:05 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
More, I see all those "strikes" are substitutes for people actually handling
or at least for postponing their own handling. Do you really need politicians
to decide for you that you should look at what you consume and do and what
harm it does to others, and then adopt things accordingly? Are you really all
helpless victims of the bad evil system? Not responsible for the damage you
create, because "politicians did not put a bin here, their fault that I drop
my garbage on the ground"?

It's a common polluter tactic to get people to internalize the idea that each individual must take action on their own. And we should take individual action! But it is not enough, and it never will be.

I personally have spent over $50,000 in the last year to make my house carbon-negative through a combination of energy efficiency improvements, replacement of gas appliances with electric versions, and installation of a large solar array. I plan to buy an electric car in the next year or two so that my day-to-day personal fossil fuel consumption is zero. But still, it's not enough! These actions amount to a drop in the bucket despite having been accomplished at great personal cost. None of my neighbors have seen fit to do the same. And it does not offset the fossil fuel consumption of the plastic in the products I buy and their packaging, or the multiple international plane trips I now take to attend KDE events.

Generally there are no alternatives to polluting actions such as these. There is no electric train powered by renewably-generated electricity that I can take to cross the ocean. Almost always there is no alternative product made entirely of wood or metal, or wrapped in paper instead of plastic.

Only through collective action can a problem of this magnitude actually be addressed. We must imbue our organizations with our values so that the system itself tilts in the direction of fixing the problem automatically. Our own personal moral righteousness is not enough and never will be.

Nate