N56ML's header tank sending unit didn't work until I had about fifty
hours on the plane...it had stuck to the film that results from the
vinylester curing in the tank.  Eventually it came lose during some
rough air and started working, but even then, I continued to use a
calibrated stick to check fuel each time I flew it, and I do the same
with 891JF, despite having a totalizer and fuel gauge on it as well.

The reason for this was reinforced when a guy with a C-210 was renting
my hangar for a while, and lost 40 gallons of 100LL through a leaking
fuel drain valve.  I walked in the hangar a few days later and there was
no sign or smell of fuel anywhere.  So you can park it full (which I
usually do also, to minimize water condensation), and still have an
empty fuel tank next time you fly.  Something to keep in mind.

And of course, when you're calibrating your fuel dipstick should be
calibrated to show fuel in the flying attitude, despite filling (and
checking) it with the tail down (for tail draggers).

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
http://www.n56ml.com