Janet wrote:

 >Another newbie question for you all.  I am looking at
starting to order my equipment and >was wondering what
people prefered for a pillow shape and which is considered
most >versatile.
> Thank you all in advance for your differing opinions!  :-)

Hi Janet!

What an exciting time for you!!  I remember when I first
started, and I couldn't get my hands on my own bobbins and
pillows fast enough!!

All of the advice you have received from the list is good -
no, make that great!!  I can't disagree with anything anyone
has said.  I just want to add that some (if not most...) of
our favorite vendors put together beginner packages that are
very cost effective, and at the same time have quality
materials that you can continue to use after you have moved
on to a "loftier" status in lacemaking.  Many of these kits
are supplied with an 18" pillow, but if you ask, most
vendors will send you a larger size (and adjust the kit
price accordingly - although it's not usually much.)

You may be confused about the term "cookie" pillow, when it
comes to those beginner kits from vendors.  These are
usually ethafoam pillows that do not have a high dome that
many members of the list have complained about (myself
included!).  These pillows make excellent beginner pillows
and last a very long time.  One of our Canadian members
recently wrote that she loves them (Bev?) while Tamara
loathes them.  I tend to agree with Bev, but I haven't had
quite as many years to get firmly wedded to natural
materials as Tamara has.  One of the distinct advantages of
the ethafoam is that it is far lighter than wool or grass,
and so makes a great pillow to take to classes.

While you've gotten loads of suggestions about roller
pillows, block pillows, bolsters, and travel pillows, I am
still a firm believer in the universal appeal of the flat
cookie pillow.  Our guild always recommends this as a first
pillow, because it can be used for so many things, is
inexpensive, and lightweight.

Keep us informed about your progress!!

Clay

Clay Blackwell