Good question.  I already have a pillow (well, two, but one of them
really doesn't count) and counting my last order over 100 bobbins (+,
again, 24 that don't count - I'll explain in a moment), but I'm already
planning on getting another pillow...

The first equipment I got was a beginners kit, aptly described on
Lacefairy (I only found that info recently, ;-(...)

        The Horror Pillow!!
        Numerous letters have been written
        about the horrors of the lace making kit.
        WARNING!!!! This is not acceptable at
        all, for lacemaking, and is a total waste of money.

If you're planning on getting a beginner's set, make sure to go to the
pillow links on Lacefairy (go to the pillows link and than "My Pillow
Directions etc." and scroll down) and look at the picture of this one so that
you don't buy it somewhere...

Weronika