Thank you to many of you for your helpful suggestions but as Jean says, in this country some of these things are pretty hard to come by via charity shops etc. and as I haven't been adding my place of residence to the bottom of my emails which I have now changed you wouldn't have understood where I was. I was getting excited until I realised that you were across the pond:-) Still I have raided my hanky draw and find 2 unused large mens hankies which I can use in the way a few of our more experienced ladies have suggested. I measured them just now and they will be good, the coloured outer lines will be removed without problem so now I can go ahead and prepare the pattern and bobbins to take with me on my travels in 9 days time:-)

I have also been looking at the chapter on mounting lace and finding other methods of sewing on apart from the 4 sided punch stitch I think I was shown way back. I am going to do a sample piece if time allows so I can see if the chosen thread looks ok and can also practice hand sewing onto the fabric before I complete the hanky. I feel I let myself down when I get to the finishing off. I am definately going ahead with the design and if I am not happy with it for the hanky I will find another use for it, but it should be fine. I have also thought of another element to use within another hanky. Oh what use you can put 3 hours of a sleepless night, <g>
Again, many thanks to all of you for your input, I really do appreciate it.

Sue T Dorset, UK
Bobbin Lace and Glass engravings
http://www.hurwitzend.co.uk

---- Norma Harris <nrm_h...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
If you want some nice hankies all ready to attach lace try hhtatting.com
(Handy Hands Tatting) and check out their catalog.----

For that matter, many lace suppliers carry hankies (usually white cotton) for attaching lace. I know I've seen them at The Lacemaker and I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Van Sciver Bobbin Lace and Lacy Susan. I'll bet they're also available at others.
Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com