I bought a whole batch of different size hankies by mail order from the UK
many years ago.   The edges were hemstitched ready to take lace, the quality
was beautiful fine Irish linen, but they were definitely NOT square.   I
ended up drawing up my own simple edge which worked up about 4cm deep, but
only had a 1.4cm repeat to the pattern when worked in Finca 40,so that I
could put an extra repeat in two sides.

I called it the Cooma Kiss (for Keep It Simple Stupid).  It just consisted
of a little crown on the head side, a row of diamonds in cloth or half
stitch, two rows of spiders (with or without gimps), another of diamonds and
a little bit of ground.   If anyone wants a PDF file, just email me direct
and state the type of thread you would be using.

Noelene in Cooma
nlaffe...@ozemail.com.au