---- [email protected] wrote: 
Another  English language style issue which needs resolution in an official 
lace style manual is whether the plural of lace is lace or laces. ----

"Lace" can be like "fish" (the words, not the objects!).  Several of the same 
species are "fish".  Several different species are "fishes".  When talking 
about the laces of several regions, it's pluralized.  When talking about the 
category of textiles, we say "lace is made in many lands".  Note that the verb 
is singlular ("is", not "are"), so "lace" is singlular.  I would say "I have 
five pieces of lace", but again this is using "lace" as a category, not a bunch 
of objects.  

It's late, I'm tired, and I suspect this doesn't make much sense, but I've 
tried....

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
[email protected]

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to