This may be the UK/US divide, or it may just be my personal opinion <G>:  I
think the plural of "fish" is "fish", however many different species you may
have.  And similarly with "sheep": lots of them are still "sheep".  And
"lace" too: however many pieces of however many styles you have, the word is
still just "lace".

The word "laces" makes me think of shoes; and "Laces of the Robber Barons",
to me, implies the strings which hold the fronts of their jackets together
<G>.  Very Errol Flynn!

Also I'm a lacemaker, and what I do is lacemaking.

As I say, this may not be correct, but it's how my mind works here in the
UK, with a Scottish upbringing ...
Margery.
margerybu...@o2.co.uk in North Hertfordshire, UK