Hello Francis!

I laughed at the description of your trip too! I've had the plane trips with crying children - no fun at all!!! And all of the other discomforts of air travel - yes, done that too! As for the Chocolate... Well, dear man, I must tell you that you live in the country which, in *my* opinion, creates the most delicious chocolate in the world. In fact, since discovering Belgian Chocolates I rarely even want American chocolate any more... it's just not worth the calories. And... Anny Noben-Slegers tells me that the Belgian Chocolate made for export is not as good as the chocolate sold in shops in Belgium, because it has to contain things to make it last through rough shipping. So you're just spoiled, that's all. There are Chocolatiers in cities around the country who are trying to make better chocolate (with some success), but the junk you got in the huge grocery story is just that - junk. I'm certain that had you the time to travel all over this great big country of ours, you would have found a culinary delight in every city, that was unlike anything you ever had at home! We do have some very good cuisine in this country - if you know where to look for it. Just last week, I was in Baltimore Maryland (on the East Coast, not far from Washington, D.C.), and had Crab Cakes one night and Soft-shell crabs the next... this is by far the best place in the world to get the wonderful Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs which make up this regional dish. That's why I ate crabs two nights in a row!!
Clay
Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, Virginia, USA

Francis Busschaert wrote:
hallo to all

So we went to the USA
I finaly did not take knitting needles on the plane
because i all to well remember that custums and airportsecurity peolpe lac any kind of "polite" and "frindly comprehensive" caracter i beleve they are specialy trained in beeing a **** in the ****. it is at your own imagination to fill in the ****.
when i finaly was on that plane,
I a was happy not to have my knittigneedles
there is no place to move around my arms and elbows to knit......
not whitout hurting the co-passengers anyway
so no knitting

i fly a lot evry year in europe short cityhoppers so in and out the plane
and it is always out of holliday periods
so i forgot how it is when you do travel in holidayperiods
what it is like to have very small, small and even bigger children on the plane
or the nonstop blond narative waterfall
or big dinosoruslike persons next to you or behind you
whom just fit in the chair and even beyond that chair
and were you have to dwell and survive for 8 painfully long hours evry airbreeding movement and other fysical movements
were you feel the knees of that person alllll to wellll in your back
where you see and mostly hear the children of parents whom lost the parental battle against there own monsters a veryyy long time ago boy o boy i still want children but that are the moments were you realy think twice....
somehow you seem to not feel the dinosaur anymore
somehow you seem to not notice the little gremlins  anymore
somehow you seem to be able to dwell in a state of sleeping and "not noticing" all the rest

we survived the trip

and suddenly you are in Los Angeles
it was the first time we were in the USA
it realy is DIFFEREND
not in big ways but in small remarcable thinghs
the first thing we noticed was the imens amounts of traffic
and all those small busses for the hotels, and carparks etcetc
sooooooo many traffic
and soooooo big cars, driving monsters on 4 or more wheels
big bigger bigest shining metal monsters
we did not see any old cars
it was like a new presenting carshow

we took the ride to the hotel
settled down and asked at the concierge were we could find a supermarket
BIG MISTAKE......
he said only 10 minutes around the corner a bit further
welll those 10 minutes became 45 minutes of walking  realllll walking
in skin burning SUN and hot air
i felt like a vampire in the sun and i was smimming in my own underware... that was the first time we noticed the "small distinct " other way of seeing distances at that point were were awake for 28 hours, to give you a bit the feelling we had in our remainders of brain

we espacily go first to see supermarkets when we arrive in other countrys
for us it is like a "contempary museum of the living culture" or like "the ambasy of lifestyl"
what you see there is what you will get for the rest of the time beeing

so my remarks are
were do you find non sugar containing yogurt and when i say non sugar i do not want some kind of fake/synthetic sugar in it like aspartaan or what ever we could not find any natural non sugartasty yogurt IMPOSSIBLE and the more you see other products the more you notice that vertualy all is sugary, sweetend, honny.........

where are those lovly hard baked cookies biscuits and other delights?
it seems to be mostly half baked whatevers
i like them crunchy

what the HELL happend whit chocolate in the USA
why does all chocolate products taste like ....... well i can not decribe it
must be some recycled wasteproduct of the pertochem industry
my god that is in the eys of us belgiums (and swiss) like  blasfamy
""you shall not rape or violate the taste of chocolate""

why does the fish smells like it came by "slow" animal transport from Argentina.....

what is the difference between 1% fatfree milk and 2% fatfree milk
and please do not tell me 1% difference

and i forgot a lot of those little differences
they will come.....

so we bought our selection of never tried before goods and headed back to the hotel
when we arrived in the hotel we felt like yellifis
and went straight to bed

the next morning we were a wake at 3.00 3.30 4.00 .....and at 5.00 in the morning the 2 of us were already fully awake
we coudl unfortunatly not shed off the belgium timeline
i never had that big difference in time before it is a real bodyand mind killer
i still do not understand how longdistance flycrews can cope whit it
its a wonder no more planecrash hapen .......
that fisrt day we took a small bustrip
first stop  manhatten beach
to see the passific the one ocean i had never seen before
it was nice
warm toooo hot again but nice from the breese in the air
we stopped at the starbucks drink some coffees and noticed again some very bizare usa-behavier some not so skinny persons asked a coffee whit lowfat milk BUT whit whipped cream on it....
yeaahhhhh like that will work  1 -1 = 0
like eating negative weightwatchers poits.... lol