I think there are two things to be noted here. The first is that we all bring baggage to whatever we do, and such baggage does not necessarily show on the outside. Some women, much, much more so than men, tend to take criticism personally, so in criticizing their lace, you are criticizing them, personally. It probably isn't the intent, but there it is, and the damage is done. Teachers need to be aware of this and plan and act accordingly. After all, technically, if the student doesn't progress, it is the fault of the teacher. That can raise arguments, I'm aware, but it remains true. It is the teacher's job to figure out strategies to impart the teacher's knowledge to the pupil. Assuming a willing pupil.

The other is that while teachers of a course which is a requirement for a degree or a required class in some way, public school and the like, can get away with riding roughshod over their students, since the students are stuck, and must put up with almost anything, either as a requirement by law, or by the overriding desire to get the degree or diploma so they can work in a given field, that is not the case with lace. Thus a lace teacher really should not do things calculated to alienate her students. Lace is a 'leisure' activity, done for the love of it. If you indulge a martinet attitude, you soon will have no students. I am fortunate not to have had any such teacher, ever, and I can only assume that the vast majority of teachers are of the proper ilk, but still, it bears remembering. It's really only common sense. A teacher who is pleasant and encouraging will have an easier time imparting her knowledge to her students because they will be more receptive.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US, where it is snowing. Hard. Expecting up to 4 inches of the stuff. But it will melt tomorrow, as the high will be 40.

-----Original Message----- From: Jo
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:08 AM
To: 'Maureen Bromley' ; 'Arachne List email'
Subject: RE: [lace] Lace classes

Sometimes you have to live with an inperfect sample as long
as the planned  piece is perfect.
After all, there is no point in keep undoing a sample
and being put off for ever.

Maureen

I totaly agree. I just had to learn that some people are putt off very very
quickly. My patience did not get a second chance.

Another one I managed to resque. Out of my knowledge a third lady putt her
off with a very critical remark about her work. She prompted that remark by
mailing me she would quit. I phoned to learn why, she wisely refused to tell
the name of the other person but I could convince her to stay. Her work may
not win prizes, but that was no point for me. She loved to do it and put
effort in it. So I declared that were two strong reasons for me to also put
effort in her. She stayed and slowly but surely progressed :-)

Jo