I have seen many fine old Binche pieces in the German Lace Guild's museum, and
the threads were extremely fine.  Even a tiny slub would have affected the
quality of the lace!  In the old flax, not only were the fibers much finer, but
they were also much longer, so that allowed fine threads which were also strong.

Many years ago, there was a fascinating lecture on the production of linen.  I
would love to see that information published in the IOLI bulletin!

Sent from my iPad