Thank you Alice!  When you mentioned Fresia linen thread, the lightbulb finally
went on.  When I was buying my thread in an assortment of sizes, my choices
were between Fresia & the other one.  The one I bought has a more matte finish
& the explanation was that Fresia is mercerized.  So I just read this very cool
article about hemp, flax & processing fibers at:
https://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/category/fibers/linen-fibers/  & discovered
that mercerizing rounds & straightens the fibers while adding luster.  Although
I knew a bit about retting, I had no clue what mercerizing added to the process
& I would never have made this connection if you had not mentioned the Fresia!
Thank you Alice & others for all your help & suggestions.  I will be a better
informed thread shopper going forward!  Sincerely, Susan Hottle USA