Hello colleagues,

I would like to make some clarifications to avoid confusion. I know this
subject very well because it is my native language and it is the reality
where I am living my everyday life :D

1. What is called Arabic is not one single language, it is a family of
"dialects" ranging from Mauritania to Irak, and not always mutually
intelligible. This is the very reason why for example there is Moroccan
Arabic Wikipedia (ary), or the egyptian one (arz). When you say X speaks
Arabic, maybe he speaks Algerian or Yemeni, and they might not understand
each other at all.

2. In the "Arabic" countries, people speak their own dialects, but in
school they learn to write in the "Standard Arabic". Nobody speaks Standard
Arabic, it is just a written text. People who did not go to school from
these countries do not speak "standard Arabic", and it is not a native
language to anyone.

3. There is a confusion about the fact the because someone comes from an
"Arabic" country that they speak "Standard Arabic", but it is not the case.
They speak the dialect of their country
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Arabic>, which can be
considered as a language. Maltese
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_language> is actually one of these,
and is considered its own language because of historial reasons, and nobody
in Malta is considered to speak "Arabic".

4. The differences between "Standard Arabic" and the countries dialects are
enormous, and if people do not go to school (and study that language 12
years), they will not be able to understand it. So "Standard Arabic" is not
just the writing of dialects, it is completely different especially for
those coming from the Maghreb region, as it is people from the Middle East
who set the rules. Dialects have their own rules, and this is why they have
their own wikis (again ary, and arz :)

All this is to say that what is called "Arabic", spoken by over 300 million
people, is the written "Standard Arabic", and that it is not native or
spoken by anybody, but still considered as one of the biggest languages of
the world.

The reason why I am giving all these facts and clarifications, is to
explain that it is exactly the same for Berber languages
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages>. There are many Berber
languages that are not always mutually intelligible, and each one of them
has its own ISO code (like Arabic dialects). One day in 2001, the Royal
Academy in Morocco worked on creating a standard written version of Berber
languages (zgh), and it is what is taught in schools in Morocco (like
Arabic, that was standardized in 19th century).
What I am trying to say is that zgh (the written standard of Berbers), is
the same as the modern standard Arabic (the written standard of Arabics).
Modern standard Arabic (ar) has its Wiki with over a million articles, so
why wouldn't zgh have its own? The only difference is that standard Arabic
was made in 19th centruy and is supported by many states, while zgh started
in 2001 and is only in Morocco.

I hope that this clarifies the picture :)

Best regards,

Anass