On 3-4-2012 12:03, Michael Schnell wrote:
> I have not the impression that this issue is on a level, that can be
> called "1.x" (I.e. allowing for absolute beginners to easily get started
> without installing (Turbo-) Delphi just to view the help.)
> (Please ignore me if you think I am wrong.)

Just chiming in. Hope nobody takes this personally, but whenever a
decision is made to release a version, there's a huge amount of
discussion on the mailing list. (I'm responding to Michael's post above,
but don't intend to single him out at all)
Often, people think that certain features should be present, otherwise
the product is not fit for release.

I think we should be very glad that the Lazarus guys spend their time
and effort in releasing fairly often - this shows improvement and lets
non-SVN users/distros upgrade more easily... which will improve the
chances of people contributing patches/issues that are more relevant for
the current state of the source code.
Apart from that, releasing 1.0 is a good PR move IMO.
If those devs heed all these requirements on the ML, no release would
ever get out.

I therefore suggest we try to avoid these kind of discussions as much as
possible and try to improve the product instead. If the direction
development is going really can't coexist with the features people want
to see, why not branch off for that feature and try and integrate it
when it the feature is complete?

Now we get a huge amount of wasted time, heated emotions and no real
benefit.

I'll close off thanking the Lazarus guys again for making it to 1.0 and
with Michael's excellent words: Please ignore me if you think I am
wrong... because I don't want to start yet another discussion...

Thanks,
Reinier