Mike Noyes schrieb:

> On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 14:21, Manfred Schuler wrote:
> > Mike Noyes schrieb:
> > >
> > > Here is a small but significant addition to this sequence. It will allow
> > > retrieval of the tree in its 1.0 state.
> > >
> > > 1$ cvs -q tag R_1_0
> > > 2$ cp scriptb scriptc
> > > 3$ cvs add scriptc
> > > 4$ cvs ci -m "added scriptc old filename was scriptb" scriptc
> > > 5$ rm scriptb
> > > 6$ cvs remove scriptb
> > > 7$ cvs ci -m "removed scriptb new filename is scriptc" scriptb
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I recommend to tag every release with an appropriate label.
> > So you can retrieve any old release or verify what is released.
> > I also recommend to tag the latest release with somthing like 'latest'
> > for easy retrieval.
>
> Manfred,
> Agreed. Tags are good. :-)
>
> > I don't think this sequence will work because in line 5 you remove
> > scriptb
> > and in line 7 you try to checkin scriptb.
>
> I believe this sequence is correct, and a checkin is required to move
> the file to the Attic in the repository.
>
> ref.
> http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Removing_Files
> http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#What_Happens_When_You_Remove_A_File

You are right.
I was irritated by 'ci' (check in). 'commit' would make things easier to
understand.
Checking in a nonexisting file looks strange.

> > I have no experience with cvs and from the man pages I could not
> > determine
> > if line 6 removes only the last version or all versions of scriptb.
> > If it removes all versions you get the problem with version 0.9.
> >
> > I would use this sequence
> >
> > cvs -q tag R_1_0
> > cvs -f ci -m "file renamed to scriptc" scriptb
>
> >From the cvs man page:
>  commit  [-lnR]  [-m 'log_message' | -f file] [-r revision] [files...]
>     Sometimes  you may want to force a file to be  committed  even
>     though  it  is unchanged; this is achieved with the -f flag, which
>     also has the effect of disabling recursion (you can turn it back on
>     with -R of course).
>
> How will this help?
The intention was to get a final log message.
You get it when you commit the remove.

> > cvs -q tag -d MAIN scriptb
> > mv scriptb scriptc
> > cvs add scriptc
> > cvs ci -m "file renamed from scriptb" scriptc
> >
> > This sequence is not tested. It is just what I can read from
> > the man pages. Maybe you need additonally this line
> > cvs remove scriptb
> > but as mentioned, I don't know what exactly is removed.
> > Maybe the tag MAIN cannot be deleted, although I couldn't find
> > it in the man page.

I had a quick look at the enforce scripts.

You should not force all filenames (except Makefile) to lowercase.
Some kernel modules have uppercase letters in their names.
Also the README files are typically in uppercase.
An X terminal dist would have big problems with that rule.

Attic should not be allowed as name.

--
Manfred Schuler
E_Mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]