Thanks for this hint, Craig, and thanks for the confirmation that you've
observed the same problem, Alan.

I deleted the elpa version of ledger-mode and cloned the git repo. I don't
have time to work with the regex now (especially since my regex-fu is
virtually non-existent), but I can confirm that commit
42c48b34bcedf913eb368edf45adbcdf5207e2e3 on Dec 7, 2017 broke ledger-mode
in my set-up.

I'm happy to work with someone else who knows regex and the code to sort
out just what in my account structure is choking the later commits, but for
now I'm happy with commit 24b43e34dd34de23e54d7ddaa2a147efda6af03d from
last September. You might try that as well, Alan.

--John