DISCLAIMER: living in Spain, married to a spaniard, half spanish kids etc, thus
been roused from lurking with this thread. :->

This recent line on Spain being boring and some being glad they lost (not just
Dave Sutton below), criticism of their footballing style - if there was such a
thing as footballing BLASPHEMY or luddite then this is it.

Rather, it's more a case of simply turning on a team that have won too much
lately i.e. there was no criticism of Spain's victories in '08 or '10 when they
were the underdog and shedding their perennial loser bottler tag.  We all tire
of the same team winning too much (apart from our beloved LUFC).

Recall that it was Zidane and France who put Spain out of the WC in 2006 BUT
against a Spanish team which had HALF of the players who played on Sunday.
Since then Spain changed their style a little i.e. they have had different
styles and didn't do it, but this latter one has been SO successful.  If it's
not broke...?    Possesion football works for them but yes they should start
looking at the Bayern Munich way with more power in central midfield - which is
exactly what Brazil did with Paulinho and Dias - which Busquets tries to do but
has faded a lot lately..

Let's not forget also that Spain were KNACKERED from both the long season and
having played ET + penalties just two days before. I still can't understand why
those who go to the Confed don't take more B players and rest the older ones.

But have they been boring? For me, absolutely not. Who remembers the tedium of
France winning in '98 or '00 with Guivarche and Dugarry, with only ZZ to inject
some quality? Or Greece in 2004, which was worse than anything Jack Charlton
had the Rep playing in the 90s. Brazil in '94? Dire dire football.

Would I rather watch Spain "mix it up" like England and try any number of
unsuccessful champagne passes like Gerrard up in the air to Carroll? Erm, pass
on that one (see what i did there... :->).    It's not fair to mention England
here of course, but they are almost a footballing opposite. In recent years i
can't watch England play without constantly counting the number of consecutive
passes they make to each other - it rarely gets above 3 or 4. When England wins
playing like that, is it exciting? For England fans yes, but you'll know it'll
get found out and as a neutral, i think it's a sh1t way to play and no, it's
rarely exciting.

Spain's possession football also suits the fact that a number of their players
in the Spain first XI are actually not quite World Class but still they still
have won: Torres (on the slide since 2008/9), Arbeloa (truly woeful the other
night), Pique (good footballer, poor defender), Casillas (Mou was in large part
right, although great at 1-on-1s), Navas has doesn't score goals and the final
pass hasn't been great of late, then theres Valdés (a David James calamity
every 5th match).

Not to mention the fact that this is actually a VERY small team physically.  Is
it boring to see little guys dink their way past clodders in midfield and
keeping the ball off them?  It is FOOT ball afterall and anything that is not
lamping a ball up to a beanpole donkey up front for a hopeful knockdown cannot
be bad.

Again, i'm biased, but the FC Barcelona of the last 4 years has been IMHO the
best quality football there has ever been and if you're not excited by Messi or
Villa then fek knows.

Hasta Luego! :->

BMW