On 2 February 2011 18:23, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 02/02/11 18:49, Jonathan Harley wrote:
>
>> For print, yes, that's about the size of it.
>>>

>> I don't see what print's got to do with it. Any rendering, whether to
>> paper or to a screen, changes the bits used
>>

> The difference is who makes the work.
>
> If you have an image comprising two separatable layers - say, an OpenLayers
> map with a CC-BY-SA source and a proprietary source - then both these images
> are published by the people operating the servers (may be the same server,
> may be different servers).
>
> You have two images, with different licensing, and it is *you* who combines
> them, using software that runs on *your* computer, into one rendering.
>
> If *that* rendering was now published, it would certainly have to be
> CC-BY-SA (say if you make a screenshot or a print). However, the people you
> get the images from do not publish that rendering; they publish two distinct
> images, licensed differently, which is totally ok.
>
> That's the difference between print (where the image is already combined
> for you, and published in combined form) and a layered web application
> (where it is you, through certain instructions you give to software running
> on your machine, who creates the derived work by superimposing the images).

So... you are suggesting that you believe that no one will ever be able to
overlay an osm map, or indeed an ccbya image with any image that not
available on an open license even if the context of the two images is
completely different?  For the avoidance of doubt the base map is a direct
clone of standard osm map rendering so is already available for reuse. It is
only the combined image that is not.

If that is your view then we are going to have to disagree on this point!

Please refer to the specific examples I have posed above to help direct the
discussion. These include a map of the USA overlaid with crime statistics, a
directions map overlaid with a photograph and a map of the Isle of White
overlaid with some illustrations.

Regards,

Peter