I haven't yet got into this very deep, but a few things concern me right off
the top in lwlib-Xm.c.

The first is the use of XtSetValues on XmNsensitive all over the place. Take a
look at the Core man page, XtSetValues is _not_ the way to do this. Motif may
be silently compensating for this error, LessTif is certainly not.

Next is this little gem.....

  /* tricky way to know if this RowColumn is a menubar or a pulldown... */
  menubar_p = False;
  XtSetArg (al[0], XmNisHomogeneous, &menubar_p);
  XtGetValues (widget, al, 1);

What is the need to "trick" the RowColumn when you could ask it nicely, ie
XmNrowColumnType?????

This is also a little worrysome....

  /* sets the parent window to 0 to fool Motif into not generating a grab */
  parent->core.window = 0;
  result = XmCreatePopupMenu (parent, instance->info->name, NULL, 0);
  XtAddCallback (XtParent (result), XmNpopdownCallback, remove_grabs,
                 (XtPointer)result);
  parent->core.window = parent_window;

Anytime you have to "fool" Motif, odds are you are going to confuse LessTif.
Since the reported problem involves grabs and popups.....this is probably a
good place to start looking.....

Anyway, before I go much further I would like to know that emacs-20.7 is the
most up to date source. I seem to remember Danny getting a hold of something
more recent. I found a CVS repository, but it seems that the source is not
there, only html documentation.....