--- In [email protected], Omar Khyam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Citizenship for all of us comes with duties as well as rights. 
> 
> I think the first duty of any new immigrant is to be subjected to a
background check and a health check that includes immunizations. 


p) Jeez, I'd hate to go through all that every time I cross state
lines. or county lines. Or town lines. Or....


> It is also a duty to have a working knowledge of the English
language and civics. If that were not so, why would we have schools
that teach it from the age of six. So, there should be a commitment to
learn English and civics. 


p) Huh? What's this duty? Sounds rather like the Borg collective. 

By the way we did not always have government education, so using it to
prove something...proves nothing.



> Finally, I think it is the duty of citizens not to be a burden on
other citizens, so the cost of the whole process should be put on the
immigrant and spread out over the first five years.  


p) Cost of what process? 


> I think that if you are to confirm that you are involved in the five
year process toward citizenship, you should be paying income, social
security, employment and other taxes. That means you cannot work under
the table. 


p) income, socialist insecurity, employment and other taxes should not
exist. The more people that can get away with not paying them, the
more other people will try, until we get rid of them altogether
belatedly. 



> If someone can pass all the checks, pay all the fees, contribute
with taxes, be a responsible citizen, and remain crime free, what can
the objection be? 

 
p) Excessive bureaucracy, for starters. 

-paul

Reply via email to