Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:37:04 +0100
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 110CT Large Drives with EZ BIOS...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 15:44:26 -0600 (CST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 110CT Large Drives with EZ BIOS...

Hello Everyone...

<snip>
one partition. I quickly found data corruption. After three times of having to re-duplicate my original 4gig drive back to the 20gig I realized it was after hibernation that this occurred.

SO, three questions...

One...
When hibernation corruption occurs, does it or should it not, also destroy formatting? I ask because my computer has hibernated by accident 4 times now

In case one partition (primary or logical) also includes the native BIOS hibernation area, yes, it is very probable, and it is unavoidable.
This is the main PITA with the Lib100&110's BIOS hibernation routines.

Did you leave space for the hibernation area (in the 4 GB HD: at the end of the HD. On the 20 GB HD: around 8 GB)?

and I can run Scandisk in Windows (98SE) OR Scandisk in DOS and neither finds ANY problems with the drive. This is not consistent with what I have read, or maybe I am missing something. I was running NO drive overlay at all when this occurred.

Overlay or not makes no difference.
And DOS or Win98 scandisk are -to put it mildly- not very reliable.
I find that Win2000 disk repair very very often fixes problems that win98 scandisk won't even see.

Two...
In an attempt to be able to use hibernation, EZ BIOS has been installed/enabled. Scandisk has been run in DOS and in Windows and everything seems fine. Also, I filled the drive with data to make sure writes could occur to the end of the disk, they can. Is there a way I can verify it is safe to allow hibernation?

Has been described in detail quite often; check the archives.

Hibernation always occurs around 8 GB (say, cylinder nos. (after disk translation) 1017-1026 or so). And -beware!- AFAICT the Lib's BIOS hibernation routines do NOT use EZ-BIOS....

<snip>
I am unable to trim my current configuration down to under 8 gig to allow for the Dual Partition with space between them in the 8gig area.

In that case you simply cannot be helped.
You MUST leave the BIOS hibernation area around 8 GB empty, period.
I know of no other way to get that together than to have that space NOT included in any actively used data partition.
So there you are......

(You also can't leave all space below 8 GB empty and make a primary partition beyond it, as the Lib's BIOS won't allow you to boot from beyond 8 GB.)

If I were you, I'd reconsider the Dual Partition option again....

And BTW you strictly do not need EZ-drive; if you take out your Lib 20/100 GB HD, partition it inside a desktop and put it back you'll see that all of the HD can be accessed.

And additionally, you can also simply copy your complete Windows 98 SE installation using appropriate XCOPY options in a DOS window (that's how I usually back up my Win98 stuff) rather than use fancy software for that. Don't forget to make its partition "active".

Besides that, I prefer one large drive due to the nature of the large databases I work with.

Understandable, but not possible with a Lib 110.

Good luck,

Philip