Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:28:55 +1100
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 110CT Large Drives with EZ BIOS...

At 08:10 AM 12/11/2005 -0800, you wrote:
--Boundary-=_nRVysTmWcysyYcqpeViKeFFMZnIm

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:09:52 -0600 (CST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hello Raymond and thank you for your reply...

I was amazed at how this topic was discussed so much over the years with no
real end result that I could determine.

It depends on what you mean by a real end result :-)

If the "end result" is a setup that works, well that's already a given - we know that drive overlay + partitions up to the 8GB mark + blank space + following partitions (and booting off a sub-8GB partition) works ... it may be sub-optimal but it works :-D

The result that hasn't been achieved is having everyone agree on what ISN'T possible, the primary split being those who believe that there isn't a way of moving the hibernation partition and those that believe a disk overlay can do it (and a smaller split who believe no drive overlay is necessary - which is sorta true depending on your operating system). Note that there is no dispute that the solution above will work for both camps, it's just the latter camp believe there's also another solution.

It took many days to read the full
archives.

I know the feeling - there's a lot of stuff there! :-)

The search engine does help but of course that isn't much use if you don't have the right search terms. I wonder if at some point there'll be a Libretto Wiki, especially if the new Librettos keep coming out ... might make life a little easier for people like yourself :-D

The BIOS HDD <8.4 seems like a simple thing.  Sort of a Yes/No to
me.  A "No" of course is not what I wanted to hear.  Also because much of the
information did not apply to the 100/100 directly I hoped it might be outdated
at least for these last two CT Models.
I will gladly accept the "No" at this point.  :)

I'm having a little trouble parsing your paragraph but I think the "no" you refer to is the BIOS itself not recognising anything over the approx 8GB mark (I can't remember the exact number of cylinders but you would have run into them in the archives!). In which case yes the answer is no :-)

This all leads back to a previous question however...
I have allowed this computer to hibernate a number of times now since safely
duplicating the drive.  The drive is full less 1/2 gig or so free.  I opened
up a number of browsers and spreadsheets etc to make certain the memory would
have been completely full when written to disk.
I realize that Scandisk is NOT a high level tool, but I simply can not believe it can't find a 64meg damaged spot on the hard drive, which hibernation should
have caused.  Is it inaccurate to believe Hibernation should have blown the
formatting, data, everything on that area of the disk?

Nope it will have blown a hole in that part of the drive but because FAT32/FAT16 doesn't actually have any way of tallying that up nicely it may not detect it (and I can also now say that NTFS also doesn't always detect it, having just had a hole blown in my hard drive on an unrelated laptop). The way some have found this area is to use some low level disk tool (Norton DiskEdit springs to mind) to write zeros (0x00) across the suspected part of the drive, hibernate then see where the contents have changed.

Cheers!

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |  Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!   |
| ICQ: 31756092   |              www.raybot.net               |