Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:36:06 +1100
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 110CT Large Drives with EZ BIOS...

Hi John,

<snip>
"If you use a drive overlay program, it should correctly see the full drive
capacity and place the hibernation area automatically at the end of the HD."
In context, my understanding was that an overlay would correct the problem of
Hibernation Placement...
Which in a way doesn't make sense because the OS doesn't boot at the time of
restore... so the BIOS would be unmodified at that time.

There have been endless arguments about this in the past ... but suffice to say, your intuition is correct, it seems without a modification to what actually resides in the BIOS, you won't be able to stop it from messing with the area around 8GB if it needs to hibernate for precisely the reason you say.

When the computer is hibernated, the contents of memory disappear and since the hibernation is done in the BIOS (unlike more recent computers where the BIOS regards a jump out of hibernation as just another bootup and it's up to the OS to deal with reading memory back in), when you come out of hibernation, the contents of memory will not have had anything to do with the hard drive at the point that the computer starts to read the contents of memory off the drive so no drive overlay will be able to tell the BIOS otherwise.

Which leads to another question...
Is there any way I can completely disable hibernation on the Libretto?  Some
how it does it even when in DOS Mode. I don't see where this comes from in the
BIOS.

AFAIK it isn't possible to completely disable hibernation - even if you disable it in the operating system, if you get a hardware panic (such as overheating or low battery but something that doesn't cause an instant shutdown), the BIOS will hibernate you like it or not :-(

I know needing to split your drive is a little inelegant but I'm not sure there's any way around it ... still, for such a little laptop I think it's a minor inconvenience to suffer :-D

Cheers!

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |  Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!   |
| ICQ: 31756092   |              www.raybot.net               |