Who you gonna believe? :-)

There's a dispatcher in Lift and it checks for user-supplied snippets before
dispatching to the hard-coded snippet names.

You can override the built-in names and there are a bunch of different
snippet dispatch mechanisms (by convention, by partial function, hard-coded)
 This does not change the fact the the <lift:xxx/> tag is encountered and
the body of the tag is dispatched someplace for processing.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp