On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Harry Tasker wrote:

> Alon Altman wrote:
>
> >  If Guy Edri agrees to burn the CDs, I see no problem. Guy, did you encode
> >all lectures already to the PC? If not, I suggest creating VCDs which are
> >playable on most DVD players. You'll need dvgrab, mencoder, vcdimager, and
> >cdrdao to complete this task under GNU/Linux
> >
> >  I am willing to keep the copies of the CDs at my disposal and burn copies
> >Also, if it's really nessecary, I can convert DV->VCD during weekends
> >

>    I encode most of the lectures (the one that took place last Monday i
> didn't encode yet).
> I store the lectures in my house at the highest quality (DVD quality).
Well, not highest... DV quality is higher ;)

> If you plan to put it for broadcast over the internet i suggest 3 ways :
> 1>High Quality - SVCD (limit the access only to aDSL/Cable/T1 Etc)
> 2>Medium Quality - VCD (Limit the access only to ISDN and above)
> 3>Low Quality - ogg/mp3 audio ONLY. (no limits)
>
> I don't know if you can play RealMedia/QuickTime encoded movies in Linux.
> RealMedia 9 codec are the best in the market both in compression and
> quality.

  Latest version of mplayer play RM and QT files under x86 GNU/Linux,
although open codecs are preferred, as you are not limited to x86
architecture and proprietary code. Therefore, I recommend opendivx.

  Alon

--
This message was sent by Alon Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ICQ:1366540
The RIGHT way to contact me is by e-mail. I am otherwise nonexistent :)