Amos Shapira wrote:

> Finally, I heard from people who worked at CheckPoint (Shachar? not
> sure, I knew a few)
I joined CheckPoint when they had just started talking about migrating
to ClearCase (from CVS). I left CheckPoint (two years and three months
later) at about the point where ClearCase started reaching our group
(the one that worked on the actual firewall code). We were, more or
less, the last group to get clear case.

The transition was horrible, with lots and lots of complaints, but truth
be told, for all I know that may have been resolved one day after I
left. I have had only a couple of months of "work with clear case"
experience, and that has been mixed at best.

In CheckPoint, clearcase showed severe reliability issues when the
repositories were residing on a NetApp (I'm talking about early 2003.
Again, for all I know, these problems may have been since solved). Also,
dynamic views used up much more space than they should have.

Even though CP worked with ClearQuest, the moment the connectivity
between CC and CQ was turned on, things ground to a halt, quite
literally. Over a one year transition, that specific feature was never
turned on.

CVS, which served us before that, had its own problems. Chief among
those was the fact that in order to tag a whole tree, you need to lock
all the folders in that tree. Each time support wanted to create a
branch so they could issue a hot fix for a client, no one could commit
for several hours. Clear case does not suffer from that problem, but
neither does SVN. CVS also had severe performance problems, but at least
initially, these got worse, not better, with the transition to CC. This
was the case despite the fact that the sources were moved into clear
case without history, so the clear case repository was totally clean.

On the CVS front of the slowness, I suspect it had something to do with
the fact that trunk was not updated after a certain point in time. All
work was done in branches. I believe (though I have no proof) that it
was a major slowdown.

I have a company running with much over 30 people, using SVN and traq,
and being extremely happy with it. Not a basis for comparison, but a
point to consider.

Shachar