From my experience working with CVS at Tivoli and ClearCase recently I
can tell you that CVS and SVN are fine solutions for up to about 30 developers working in one location. Once you go above that number there begin to be project management issues such as the need to lock down branches, define releases and other build types, and impose development discipline. This is where SVN and CVS fail miserably and ClearCase suddenly becomes advantageous. This is also the point (30+ developers) where the group can usually afford to have one dedicated person who is the ClearCase/Quest administrator. ClearCase has a very rich and usefull feature set. It is scriptable. It is heavy. The UCM additon is very good.

If you do not have at least 30 developers then the admin overhead that ClearCase requires will be very expensive for you in relation to the advantages that it offers.
Regards,

  - yba

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Leonid Podolny wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:22:38 +0200
From: Leonid Podolny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: linux-il@cs.huji.ac.il
Subject: [OT] SVN commercial support

Hi,
My employer considers switching CM (i.e. "source control") system. The
current favorite in the race is ClearCase. Previously, at my previous
place of work, we worked with Subversion, and it was simply amazing --
light, simple, yet powerful. (And infinitely cheaper, of course.)
The basic reasoning behind choosing ClearCase is simple -- the
management needs someone to provide us with support and help us in
case of technical difficulties. So basically I am looking for some
company that will be able to provide us with the technical support for
SVN.
I think that another reason behind ClearCase is that they have actual
sales people. So it would be nice if that company would be able to
send someone with nice PowerPoint presentations, that will be able to
explain to VPR&D how vastly superior SVN is, compared to any other
offering.
Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks,

  EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
      - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - tel: +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il -