On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 16:40 +0300, Ira Abramov wrote:
> you may remember a few weeks ago, I was asking about KDE and kdevelop
> for centos5. I recommended against it, the client insisted, now we are
> seeing it's buggy as hell, the kde4RHEL repositories give us binaries
> newer than what Ubuntu offers, but it gets stuck and sometimes explodes,
> totally unworkable. On the other hand, auto-tools are really old on
> Centos5, and so, generally, it's not a devel environment, even though
> the final build of the product will have to be done on it.
>
> which brings me to the question - should I stick to Fedora (7? 8?) for the
> devel
> environment and break from the RPM world and go for Lenny or Hardy? it's
> obvious that I have to choose something that is NOT RHEL-5 in style or
> age. I need a kdevelop and kdesvn that are KNOWN TO WORK.

I must have missed this thread.
kde-redhat's [1] RPM packages for CentOS5/RHEL are -very- stable. (The
project itself is lead by the same people who lead the Fedora KDE SIG
group. (That's doing most of the work behind Fedora/KDE).
I use it on a number of RHEL5 and CentOS5 machines and I have no problem
with it.

As for the thread itself, if you're willing to upgrade the machine once
a year, Fedora 8 should be OK. (Be aware the Fedora 7 is reaching EOL
fast).

- Gilboa
[1] http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/