Ira Abramov wrote:

you may remember a few weeks ago, I was asking about KDE and kdevelop
for centos5. I recommended against it, the client insisted, now we are
seeing it's buggy as hell, the kde4RHEL repositories give us binaries
newer than what Ubuntu offers, but it gets stuck and sometimes explodes,
totally unworkable. On the other hand, auto-tools are really old on
Centos5, and so, generally, it's not a devel environment, even though
the final build of the product will have to be done on it.
I would say that claiming that CentOS5 is not a good development environment for a program that will deployed on CentOS 5 is a very bade advice.
which brings me to the question - should I stick to Fedora (7? 8?) for the devel
environment and break from the RPM world and go for Lenny or Hardy? it's
obvious that I have to choose something that is NOT RHEL-5 in style or
age. I need a kdevelop and kdesvn that are KNOWN TO WORK.

I think Fedora is not a good candidate for a development environment for any commercial product, let alone one that needs to run on CentOS5 at the end.

I recommend your client look into Eclipse. Failing that, Try Visual Slick Edit.

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef Chief Coffee Drinker

Codefidence Ltd.