On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 22:21 +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Gilboa Davara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  P.S. as other have mentioned, if the machines are being used for
> >  development and testing, CentOS should be OK.
> >  If the machines are being used for production (servers, machines that
> >  will end up in your client's hands, etc), get RHEL. Trust me, no-one
> >  ever got fired for using RHEL.
>
> Over the last 3 years or so of using CentOS (or as it were in previous
> workplace, RHEL sources compiled locally), I've been exposed numerous
> times to the "CentOS vs. RHEL" question and not once saw a killer
> argument for preferring RHEL over CentOS. Only instances I saw:
>
> 1. Oracle's installer looks for specific strings in
> /etc/redhat-release, which can be tricked by editing this file during
> the install process.
> 2. Our developers asked for RHEL instance to compile stuff that one of
> the clients insists it must be an RHEL binary. As far as I can tell
> this is a case of CYA more than any technical reason.
>
> --Amos

The be honest, as a developer I prefer CentOS over RHEL mostly because
CentOS's software selection is better then RHEL server. (Which we use on
our target machines) - especially given that fact that CentOS to RHEL
compatibility is exemplary - read: we distribute our software using RPMs
that were built on CentOS5/x86_64 and tested on RHEL5/x86_64.

Having said all that, RHEL is one thing going for it. -Fast- response
times and very good support. Sitting in a front end, I rather have
security updates applied yesterday and not in two days. The 12-48 hours
between a RHEL update and a CentOS update can be devastating and I
rather not put my ass on the line for 200$/machine.

- Gilboa