On Dec 21, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Nick Webb wrote:

> Billy-
>
> On Tuesday, December 20, 2011, William Kreuter <bil...@drizzle.com> wrote:
> > It was because I was going to use the U.W. site
> > license, and I thought that 5.5 was current on the UW
> > site.  I just now checked, and 6.2 is now current; 5.7
> > is also there.
>
> 5.5 and 5.7 are really the same as far as I can tell; 5.7 just has a newer
> set of packages.  You could think of the differences like a service pack in
> the MS world.

Yeah, that's the goal. New features, new hardware enablement,
bug fixes, etc., go into each minor revision up to a point,
but it should be entirely possible to run a 5.7 kernel on a
5.0 system and have things still Just Work(™). But only the
latest point release or two continue to get security fixes,
so if you're currently locked to 5.5, you're not getting any
further CVE fixes, meaning a potentially exploitable machine.

> > Is there any reason why I should prefer 5.7 to 6.2?
>
> Some commercial products aren't certified on 6.x yet, but barring that I'd go
> with 6.x if at all possible.

Me too. RHEL5 is quickly approaching "maintenance-only" mode,
and the package list is already quite stale, so there are a
number of modern web applications and/or other miscellanea that
require gobs of additional package replacements/upgrades/alt
installs of more infra to get working. Much less of that with
RHEL6, at least for the time being. Same thing will happen over
time there too though -- the perils of trying to maintain an
entirely stable distro down to minor versions of all components
for multiple (7-10) years...

Amusingly, if you know what my job is, I don't use RHEL5 for
anything at all, I use mostly RHEL6 and Mac OS X… :)

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@wilsonet.com