I just thought to run e2fsck -f on the LVM volume
mapped to /home.  This reported a clean volume.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about LVM, so last week
when I installed from the rhel6 "server" iso, I
quickly accepted all the defaults.  The hardware is
two identical 2-terabyte sata drives.  LVM assigned
/ with a few dozen gigs to one LVM volume and it
assigned about 3.6 gigs to /home on another LVM
volume.  The filesystem type is ext4, again the
default.

I hope to avoid a clean reinstall until that's
clearly the next step, which perhaps it is at this
point.  If I do that -- and I would use the
"workstation" iso this time -- should I request ext3
instead of ext4, and should I try to get the
installer to set up the two drives as separate
logical volumes and not use LVM?

Are there any additional hardware-checking tools to
try besides e2fsck?